Greetings, here we will go over how to watch your recordings from a PC or Mac computer.
1. If you need to back up all recordings or watch them from a computer, first remove the microSD card and use an adapter to plug it into a computer's SD reading slot.
*If your desired PC or mac does not currently have a SD reader slot, you can find one from online retailers such as Amazon.com or Newegg.
2. Once the SD card is plugged in, open the card's folder from My Computer. See an example below:
- You can copy the recorded data files onto a computer. The recorded data files are in DAT format, so we recommend the popular open source VLC Media Player to play them. Please follow the instructions on the VLC website to install the player!
*The player featured here is completely free.
- You can view recordings directly on the card without copying to your computer or backing them up, also with a suitable video player.
- If you wish, you can also manually rename DAT files to .mp4 format and play them on other players, but results will vary based on your installed codecs or type of program.
Q: What is a codec?
A: Various devices or programs that compress data for faster transmission, and also decompress received data. Some popular codecs include MP4 and MKV codecs. In the case of video recordings, having the correct codec is like having a key to a lock.
Q: What is the recommended size of microSD cards to be used with Blackbox S?
A: The Blackbox S accepts any card 128GB and smaller. The bigger your card, the more footage you can store before the oldest is overwritten by the newest.
Q: Why are recorded videos in the DAT format?
A: DAT is a general extension that signifies the file contains data. It speeds up storage in the camera, and also provides a layer of security.