Hi there! In this article, we will go over preparations you should make before you start connecting your system.
Setting up your own home or business security system is a rewarding process, and is far from complicated. A local professional can be hired to help you with installation, but we also provide resources for you to DIY in this project.
1. Surveillance center
Make sure you have these items at your disposal:
These two, together with your new DVR set, will make up your local surveillance hub.
2. Planning it out
We recommend you sketch out your plans before moving to work on them.
Consider these factors when deciding where to place your cameras:
- Where can cameras be the most effective?
- Which angles give the best view of incoming parties?
- What is the point's distance to your central surveillance hub?
- How will you run the cables to your camera?
See our camera placement tips for more ideas!
3. Gathering tools
Next, to mount individual cameras around your building, these additional tools will be necessary:
We provide users with packs of screws, wall plugs, and alien wrench for each camera (if applicable to the model), but the above tools will be up to you!
See our mounting guide here!
Running cables through a building can be a chore and look unappealing. Thankfully, there are many ways to hide or arrange cables as they pass through the rooms. Consider these:
1. Use a DIY baseboard to hide your wires. These are very popular among DIY enthusiasts. Find a style you like at local stores!
2. Use wire clips to secure wires along a path, available at many hardware stores and online.
3. Wire hiders, available at many local and online stores.
4. Running wires through unused spaces, such as your attic or garage ceiling.
6. Of course, a local professional technician can be called to help you install cables through walls.
With these points in mind, you should get a good mental image of your final setup. When you are ready, go to our first time setup tutorial!